The Nova Scotia government is issuing tenders for more than $200 million worth of construction for the new Northside Health Complex portion of the Cape Breton Regional Municipality (CBRM) Health Care Redevelopment Project.
The new, modern complex will feature a health centre, 60-bed long-term care home and laundry centre. There will be 12 short-stay beds and space for urgent and after-hours care, collaborative care teams, bloodwork, cardiac, X-ray, ultrasound, ambulatory care clinics, physiotherapy, mental health and addictions, public health, expanded renal dialysis, endoscopy, as well as other services.
The complex will be built in the Northside Business Park and will serve North Sydney, Sydney Mines and surrounding areas.
“This is a major milestone for this project which will help revitalize the health-care system that Cape Bretoners rely on now and for decades to come,” said Infrastructure and Housing Minister Geoff MacLellan. “In addition to improving health-care delivery, the new Northside will help attract and retain medical professionals and create thousands of jobs during the construction phases.”
The tender will be posted on Saturday, July 17. This significant package will focus on delivery of the early work projects needed for the site to support the larger project, including the underground infrastructure for sewer and water services and the introduction of underground electrical cabling services. This tender package will be the first of many that will follow for this project.
Derek Mombourquette, Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development and MLA for Sydney-Whitney Pier, on behalf of Health and Wellness Minister Zach ChurchillThis project reaffirms government’s commitment to better health-care services for Cape Bretoners while at the same time, it enhances the quality of life for people who call this island home. It is truly a significant commitment, and when construction is complete it will be a project we can all be proud of.
Dr. Pat O’Grady, physician lead, Northside RedevelopmentI’ve been practicing as a family physician on the Northside for 27 years. As the physician lead for the redevelopment project on the Northside, it’s very exciting to see the project move to the next phase. My colleagues, staff and volunteers have been involved in the planning process and we’re confident the new health infrastructure will meet the needs of the community now and in the future.
- the Northside Health Complex is part of the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment project, which is the single biggest health-care investment in the island’s history
- Northside General Hospital opened in 1954 and currently has 45 acute care beds, 14 licensed transitional long-term care beds and 22 long-term care beds
- in October 2020, PCL Constructors Canada was awarded the construction management services contract for the Northside Health Complex and New Waterford Community Hub projects
- Nova Scotia tenders website: https://procurement.novascotia.ca/ns-tenders.aspx
- Nova Scotia Health Authority: http://www.nshealth.ca/ Health Care Redevelopment in Nova Scotia website: https://healthredevelopment.novascotia.ca/
- Department of Infrastructure and Housing on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NovaScotia_IAH
- Department of Health and Wellness on Twitter: https://twitter.com/nshealth
- Department of Health and Wellness on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NovaScotiaHealthAndWellness/