The Cape Breton Regional Municipality (CBRM) Healthcare Redevelopment project is another step closer to transforming the way health care is delivered in New Waterford and surrounding area, and the communities of the Northside.
Government awarded the contract for the construction management services for the New Waterford Community Hub and Northside Health Centre projects to PCL Constructors Canada Inc.
PCL Constructors Canada Inc. will advise on the planning and management of the construction work. Construction of the Northside Health Centre is expected to begin in spring 2021. Construction of the New Waterford Community Hub is expected to begin later in 2021.
When completed, the New Waterford area and the communities of the Northside will each have a new, modern health centre and a 60-bed long-term care home with space for physicians and primary health-care teams, x-ray, blood collection, diagnostic imaging, mental health and addictions treatment, public health offices and many services currently available at the New Waterford Consolidated Hospital and Northside General Hospital. Both projects also include 12 short-stay beds.
In New Waterford, both the health centre and long-term care home will be built on the Breton Education Centre school site, along with a new school with gyms and a 500-seat theatre, creating a community hub.
The Northside Health Centre will have a new state-of-the-art laundry centre. Renal dialysis chairs will increase from 8 to 12 and it will become a centre of excellence for endoscopy.
Along with the New Waterford Community Hub and Northside Health Centre construction, the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment project also includes:
- a new Cape Breton cancer centre and clinical services building which includes a new emergency department, critical care department, 72 inpatient beds and surgical suites at Cape Breton Regional Hospital
- an expansion and renovation of the Glace Bay Hospital emergency department and surgical services
- the New Waterford Community Hub will be about 275,000 square feet
- the Northside Health Centre will be about 264,000 square feet
- construction of new recreation fields is currently underway as part of the New Waterford Community Hub, including a new artificial turf, natural grass soccer pitch, walking track, tennis courts and outbuildings
- government is making the most significant infrastructure investment in Nova Scotia history to modernize health-care facilities in Cape Breton Regional Municipality, Halifax Regional Municipality, Bridgewater, Pugwash and across the province
Updates on the CBRM redevelopment project:
Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
Health and Wellness