Government continues to move forward with improving sports and recreation facilities in New Waterford, as part of the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project.
LAT49 Architecture Inc. has been awarded the contract to design and rebuild two sports fields and recreation facilities that are being relocated in New Waterford, today, Dec. 16.
New Waterford’s artificial turf soccer field, tennis courts, washrooms and storage buildings will be rebuilt at nearby MacKinnon Field to make way for the construction of the new community hub at the Breton Education Centre site.
The new community hub is a unique model that will provide world-class health care into the future, expose students to health-care careers and create better connections between students and seniors. The site will include a new community health centre and 60-bed long-term care home to replace the New Waterford Consolidated Hospital and a new school to replace Breton Education Centre. The grass soccer field at MacKinnon Field will be moved to nearby Colliery Lands Park, adjacent to Heelan Street.
The CBRM Health Care Redevelopment also includes:
- a new emergency department, critical care department and cancer centre at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital
- a new, modern community health centre, 60-bed long-term care home and laundry centre in North Sydney to replace the aging Northside General Hospital
- an expansion of the Glace Bay Hospital emergency department and surgical services
- in September, government approved $4.5 million to rebuild two existing sports fields and other recreation facilities in New Waterford
- MacKinnon Field and Colliery Lands Park are municipal lands. Cape Breton Regional Municipality (CBRM) Council approved the relocation. Future recreation facilities will continue to be owned by CBRM
- the current artificial turf field is 16 years old
- construction is expected to begin next spring
- the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project will modernize CBRMs health care facilities, improve access to care and help recruit and retain health-care professionals to the area