The province continues to move forward with Cape Breton Regional Municipality’s largest health-care project that will improve access and expand services.
The province is allocating $38.4 million towards planning and early construction of the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project, today, July 2.
“This is a transformational project that will help revitalize the health-care system that Cape Bretoners rely on now and will for years to come,” said Randy Delorey, Minister of Health and Wellness. “Today’s funding will support a critical step in the project that includes design and early construction that will help ensure we build a very strong foundation for future health-care services in Cape Breton. We are also pleased to have Dr. Elwood MacMullin as our new senior medical director of the redevelopment team who replaced Dr. Kevin Orrell. Dr. Orrell was appointed deputy minister of the Department of Health and Wellness earlier this year.”
The project includes:
- building a new Cape Breton Cancer Centre and a clinical services addition that includes an emergency department, critical care department, 72 in-patient beds and surgical suites at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital
- building a new school, modern health centre, long-term care home and new recreational facilities in New Waterford
- building a new, modern health centre, long-term care home and laundry centre on the Northside
- expanding the Glace Bay Hospital emergency department and surgical services
Dr. Elwood MacMullin, senior medical director, CBRM Health Care Redevelopment ProjectThe project is important to advance the care of patients in Cape Breton. It’s imperative we move forward with new space and new technology in order to improve the health of all Cape Bretoners and attract health professionals.
Recent work on the project includes:
- awarding the design contract for the New Waterford Hub, which includes a health centre, long-term care home and Breton Education Centre, to Architecture 49 and HDR; the construction of the recreational fields will start this month
- awarding the design contract for the Northside’s community health centre, long-term care home and laundry centre to Architecture 49 and HDR; construction is expected to start later this year
- awarding the design tender in a few weeks for the Glace Bay expansion and renovation this summer
- construction is underway for the Cape Breton Regional Hospital’s replacement parking lot that is necessary to make room for the expansion of the hospital
- the funding is part of Capital Plan 2020-21
For more information on the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Hospital, go to: https://healthredevelopment.novascotia.ca/cbrmhealth
Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
Health and Wellness
Nova Scotia Health Authority